Established in memory of Felicia Buell, the Felicia Buell Year Abroad Scholarship is available to aid students who desire to participate in the full school year program offered by the American Field Service (AFS), a study abroad program for high school students. The first available scholarship is for the 2018-2019 school year abroad.
The Felicia Buell Year Abroad Scholarship is open to all Marietta Senior High School students who would have at least one full year of high school remaining after the completion of the year abroad.
All applications for the scholarship must by submitted in writing, addressed to: The Felicia Buell Year Abroad Scholarship, 613 Third Street, Marietta, OH 45750. Applications must be postmarked on or before February 28th, 2018.
The application, in the form of a typed letter, shall provide the following information:
- The applicant's name, mailing address, phone number, email, age, and school year of current enrollment.
- Cumulative GPA through the end of the prior quarter or semester
- The applicant's first and second choice of program countries and a brief reason for each choice
- As there is a needs-based component to the scholarship, a brief explanation of why the applicant needs the scholarship and what other financial resources the applicant will draw on to obtain the funds needed to cover the remaining costs of the program.
- A list of school and extra-curricular activities of the applicant, and their frequency
- A statement indicating why the applicant believes he or she has the qualities needed to successfully complete the program and how the student, and others, will benefit from the student's participation.
The successful applicant should be familiar with the history and mission of AFS; have strong learning skills and habits; have prepared for the challenges that such a program presents and formulated plans for dealing with those challenges; have strong family support; and have the personality and character necessary to take advantage of what the program offers. The successful applicant must also agree to prepare and present upon reasonable notice, a visual and audio program of the year abroad experience, and agree to assist AFS as a volunteer, as needed and available, for the following year.